Bird Theme

I have always LOVED birds.  My house is decorated with vintage bird prints, birds nests under glass domes – subtle touches of birds here and there.  Not really sure what my fascination is with birds, but I am drawn to them.  Birds represent happiness to me, tiny little creatures that speak so sweetly – almost giving you the impression that they are little messengers from heaven.

I had a very special little girl in my classroom for the last two years.  This little girl had Downs Syndrome.  At the end of the school year, I received a gift from her mother – when I opened it up, it was a bluebird used to hang outside in a garden.  It was so beautiful!   I immediately thought, “How did she know that I love birds?”  When I read the card that accompanied the gift, she had written that the bluebird was a very special symbol in their family.  Only people that they love would receive a blue bird.  She then went on and said that I meant so much to her and her family – I was their angel.   She was giving me a bluebird to represent that I was an important part of their lives.   I cried…and cried…and cried.  “I was their ANGEL.”  Wow!  That was pretty powerful.

Over the summer, I found a pad of paper shaped like a bluebird from Carson Dellosa – I immediately loved it and knew I had to try and use it in one of my classroom designs.  I had lots of different ideas for decorating my own classroom, but I kept coming back to this  bluebird paper and how I could incorporate a theme around it.  After some thinking, I figured out how to use the bird paper.  With special permission from Carson Dellosa, I was allowed to blow up the image.  I can’t wait to show you how I used this cute, little guy!

Every day, I walk into my classroom and I am reminded of my student from last year.  The sweet bluebird is not only a reminder of her, but it is also a reminder of how powerful our profession is.  As teachers, we have the ability to change lives, to inspire childrenour actions and words matter.  Our classrooms should be a haven where children are loved, respected, and nurtured.  What an awesome responsibility we have!  I often say that teaching is something that I never chose to do…I believe that  I was chosen to be a teacher.  The bluebird is a reminder that when I stand before my students- I am there for a reason.  I have a purpose.  This is my calling.  I was someone’s angel.

I hope that every day when you walk into your own classroom, you remember that you are there for a reason, you have a purpose.  You were chosen to be their teacher…YOU have the ability to be someone’s angel.

WELCOME to my classroom…

SHOPPING GUIDE:

Photography by E.C. Campbell Photography of Rochester Hills, Michigan

Table signs, Word Wall tags, mailbox tags, Welcome Banner, Daily 5 Tags, Book basket tags, Book basket labels, nameplates – Schoolgirl Style *You can purchase from the Schoolgirl Style Shop

Bluebird – Carson Dellosa  *Birds in nest were enlarged with Carson Dellosa’s permission

Cloud cut out – Carson Dellosa

Green Tubs – Dollar Tree

Green polka dot border  and matching alphabet – Teacher Created Resources

Blue and green utility baskets – Dollar General

Brown baskets – Jo-Ann Fabrics

Nests and Flower Poms -  Schoolgirl Style Shop

Ribbon and polka dot curtain fabric – Hobby Lobby

Green and white polka dot leaves – Wrapping paper from Hobby Lobby

Yellow baskets – Really Good Stuff

Lime green and brown brown bordette/sky paper – Pacon

Wall picture frames for student work – Lakeshore

Green photo frames - TJ Maxx

Comments

Melanie this is simply fabulous! I love how you make everything affordable for teachers to do yet stretch their imagination to build such a positive and beautiful learning environment. My own daughter just started school last Thursday and I may have to talk to her teachers about letting me help them out with the decorations! They maybe not like that!! =) Keep inspiring. I adore looking at your site.
    Hugs!
    Rebekah

• Jackee says

Rebekah I love your enthusiasm and willingness to lend a hand in the classroom. If you are offering you are more than willing to try and help me do a retake on this theme in my classroom near Pittsburgh! ;) Because of your comment I am going to throw in an invitation to my new homeroom parents to assist me in the decorating this year! We will have a classroom warming party to kick the school year off! :) I will be sending out a welcome postcard to my students soon and will now include a line about helping to decorate the classroom Schoolgirl Style (including this URL of course!) I am just itching to get in and start redecorating!

I am on a budget and decided to make my own cloud wall coverings using a roll of light blue plastic tablecloth and paper plates with the paper doilies glued on for the clouds. I have also bought a large roll of plastic table covering in chocolate and a soft lime green. I am going to give a go at DIY poms after watching a YouTube video. I bought ton of new bright lime green tubs at Family Dollar. I also bought a few lime, green, and chocolate stripe patterned water repellent cloth table clothes for the tables in my room and a few rag rugs with lime, chocolate and other colors at Altmeyer’s to use for floor time. The other change that I’m doing is adding in some owls with the blue birds, so I guess it will be more of a garden theme as we already have a VERY large classroom garden. My students loved earning new ‘garden friends’ (mini lawn ornaments and McDonald’s toys *smurfs–also blue!) throughout the last school year, so I will continue that into this year.

*Sorry for the Super-sized post—-> Can you tell that I’m ecstatic?!?!?

• Cindy Muschany says

Instead of the plates and doilies, why don’t you use cotton balls for the clouds? It would be really cheap, and you can pull them apart and add several to make your clouds whatever size you like and they look very real and wispy…. just a thought.
        Cindy

I LOVE it! So inspiring. I’m a principal this year – your room makes me want to go back into a classroom. :) I know your students must be so blessed to have such a creative teacher. Keep up the great work!

• Laura Dumovich says

I just LOVE what you’ve done to decorate! May I ask you how you did the big flowers (appears to be colored tissue paper?). I am going to be a new 2nd grade teacher next year and would LOVE my class to be as fun and welcoming as yours!!

Hi Laura! You can purchase them in my shop or you can see my tutorial. Just type in “pom tutorial” in the search bar and you should find the directions!

3. mary says

Your room is FABULOUS! It is a calm, relaxing, and beautiful space for you and your students to do big learning in this year. You are a lovely writer; I enjoyed reading where your inspiration came from. Carson-Dellosa might want to hire you!

Absolutely stunning!! You have outdone yourself, Melanie. I love it and aspire to have a room like that next year. I still want to get around to taking pictures and send to you for some critique and maybe some assistance. Maybe you might want to take a trip to Florida? LOL! Would love to have you travel to my room.

Hi Teresa! I am definitely here if you need anything! I would love to come to Florida! Maybe when it is 10 degrees below zero and we have a foot of snow, I will find an excuse to come to Florida to help you! :)

5. Holly Ellis says

I just got back from the teacher store and saw that you had posted pictures! What a wonderful surprise when I see that many of the items I bought, I see in your classroom. Hopefully mine will turn out as wonderful as yours!

6. Debra says

I LOVE your classroom….and LOVE your story of your special student that inspired you! I love that you think of EVERY little detail….nests, baskets, polka dot leaves, tags for your table stations, etc. I can’t help but wonder how you come up with such creative accents?? I believe that your classroom just received the CLASSROOM STYLE AWARD for the 2011-2012 year! I am in love with your room! <3

Hi Debra! Yes, that was my showcase window you saw in the photo! My school is very old and “vintage.” :) There are some great elements to that room and some dated one’s as well! I agree, the showcase is very nice. Most teachers in our building don’t ever use it though – they block it off and use it for storage. As for the flowers and nests, I plan to do a post specifically on how to make the flowers. I will email you when I get it up! :)

Well, it is the alphabet, kind of…It is for my Bear Mountain. My students have their own bear and they move it up and down the mountain as they pass the different levels of sight words. Their goal is to get to Level Z by the end of year. I like the polka dot leaves too! :)

Ohmiword, Melanie. You are KIDDING me with this classroom!!! It’s drop dead GORGEOUS! I’m totally wishing we could switch rooms right about now….ha!!! Love ALL the details…the FABULOUS color scheme…and those dang “birds nests” are seriously a stroke of creative genius. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!!!

WOW, WOW, WOW!!! I am in awe. I will pay for your plane ride to Chicago to come and decorate my room! :) I just found your blog through Cara’s post! Thanks so much for sharing your talent!
    :) Melissa

Oh.my. I am IN LOVE with your classroom AND your blog! I am so glad that Cara over at the First Grade Parade has shared your blog! I’m ready to re-do my classroom all over again!! I especially LOVE the look and simplicity of your teacher desk! What are your storage/organizational secrets to keep a desk looking like that!

<Creating & Teaching

Shaunna!
      Oh my goodness! How fabulous is THAT?!?! It is truly amazing! If you don’t mind, I will post your pictures next week! I will contact you right before to get some information. Thanks for sending them!!!

10. Kimberly says

ADORABLE!! Cutest room I’ve EVER seen!!! I teach first as well so I have to know… does it stay this cute for long, and if so, HOW?? My little ones seem to destroy everything- FAST, lol. Please pass on the tips- I’m dieing to know ;)

I know exactly what you are talking about! :) It is difficult to keep those little hands from destroying your room! The biggest suggestion that I have is to teach the behaviors you want. Just like you would teach your children how to use Centers or Daily 5, you need to teach them how to use the items in your room and how to clean it up. I use a Barrel of Monkeys as incentives to clean up correctly and quickly. From each table sign, I hang the monkeys – they need ten monkeys to earn a prize. I really drag it out, so it takes a couple weeks for a table to win. It is a great way to transition! Again, you need to teach, teach, teach and model, model, model for the behaviors you want. The work you put in teaching your children to keep your room neat and tidy will definitely pay off in the end!

Just found you through Cara. WOW! I wish I taught with you so you could help me decorate my first grade classroom. I think I need to submit your name to HGTV and they should start a whole new show called Design: Classroom Style or, and my personal favorite, Classroom Crashers! And you could come crash my classroom and completely re-do it!!! :) I love blues and greens in my room, too, but it just does not compare. I can’t imagine how many kids and parents must want to be in your class just by your room – it makes such an impression!!!
    I am your newest follower, by the way! :)
    A Teeny Tiny Teacher

12. Tahitian Moon says

Oh my stars that is beautiful! I spent the whole day redoing my room and it still does not look half as pretty as yours. If you ever get sick of teaching, you could make a small fortune as a classroom consultant. I’d pay big bucks to have you set up my space.

13. Amber says

I love your classroom! I was wondering if you could give me tips on how to do a tree like yours. I was not sure what you used it looks beautiful!

Oh my goodness! I had such anxiety about making those trees. I knew that I wanted a 3D tree, but wasn’t sure how it would turn out. I am pretty happy with the finished product! :) I cut a long strip of paper – about two feet wide – then accordian folded the paper to make the trunk. Each branch was a long strip that I just scrunched and stapled on to the trunk. There wasn’t any rhyme or reason to it, I just kept adding branches until I got the look that I wanted. Hope that helped! :) ~Melanie

14. jordan says

This classroom is amazing. Your kiddos are very lucky. If I purchase the items from the school girl shop, how do i get the text on them like you have done?
    —Student Teacher

Since they are a PDF file, you cannot edit them after you purchase the item – you would have to write in whatever you want. If you want something customized, just email me and let me know what you are interested in and I can send you a price. I will then set up a customized order for you to purchase through my shop. Hope that helps! :) ~Melanie

Unfortunately, you can’t edit the file once you download it. The only way you can get the text on there is if I do it for you. I charge a small additional fee to add text to any of the designs. If you need me to add it, just let me know! :)

15. Robbie says

I love your classroom! It is obvious that much thought went in to utility as well as beauty. Do you mind sharing how you adhere things to your doors and walls? I sometimes have problems with things coming off the wall which is frustrating.

16. Carrie says

I personally love the bird theme. It is very natural and has a soothing nature. I think any kid would be lucky to have a classroom as pretty as this one. Hopefully, with a lot of time and effort spent my classroom will look nice like this one. It looks so organized and I also love how it has a “theme” rather than sporadic placement of random items. Color and accessories match. It’s perfect.

Thanks! Carrie Hriblan

I LOVE all your themes – but mostly I love the BIRDS theme!!! I wish I could find a way to incorporate it in my room!! Check out my blog to see my post about how I want to change my room! I love how the entire room is so pulled together and everything “clicks”. I envy your gift!

I absolutely love you’re blog! I also love how you write what you bought in order for someone else to easily repeat what you have done. You have such a talent and it inspires me. Thank you so being so awesome!

19. Miranda says

Wow! Your classroom looks fantastic!! Can you post even more pictures? ;) I would love to see them.
    2 questions I got for you:
    The cabbinet with the numbercards in them, where are you using this for? And what kind of material is the tree made from?
    Next year after the summerholliday I will be teaching my first year of first grade! I’m very excited about it and I’m allready collecting things I want to use in my classroom. I’m going for the same colors; blue and green (decided that before I saw your room!! funny) only I will have an owl theme!
    In case I want to order something in your store, do you ship to The Netherlands? And is it possible to change some things in Dutch (for ex: table = tafel or groep)

Hi Miranda!
      I am so excited that you are following my blog! As for the numbers, I number my students at the beginning of the school year. Their writing journals are numbered, their book baskets are numbered, and their mailboxes (that is the cabinet you are referring to) are numbered as well. It just makes it easier when they line up. After teaching for several years, I have found that kids argue about who lines up first, who is cutting in line, who stands next to who, etc…this takes away all of the arguing and disagreements that can transpire with a large group of students.

If you order something, it will be sent to your email address. You print it out on your own printer. I can customize anything you want!

Thanks again for following me! I was so happy to get your email! If you need anything, let me know! :)
      Melanie

20. Miranda says

Hey Melanie!

Thank you for responding! I have to steel that idea, with the numbers! That’s very clever! I did noticed in America the classrooms are way bigger than we have over here!

Can you tell me how you made the tree and wich material you used? It looks awesome! Do you also sell the picture of the bird? I have to see how much money I can spend next year, still a student ha ;) But maybe I can order some things! :)

Are you teaching first grade again next schoolyear (2012-2013)? Maybe we can have our kids communicate with each other through email or a blog! I teach English lessons and this would be a great way for them to get to know foreign kids who speak English. (mother tongue) or for your kids who speak another language.

I definitly need to make a list with things I can make for my new classroom! I don’t want to do this all last minute (wich I’m very good at ;) ) and that’s why I’m starting allready! LOL! Do you have any tips for me?

Do you know that American teachers are way more creative than Dutch teachers. You should see my boring classroom right now! Well it’s not MY classroom, because than it would be absolutely STUNNING! lol

:D Miranda

21. Jami says

I am in love with your room! I have to say that this is by far the prettiest classroom that I have EVER seen! I noticed on the walls you had picture frames hanging ( I can only assume that they are to be filled with smiling faces of your kids!) I have wanted to do something like that for the longest time but have never been able to find the frames! I love yours, please share with me as to where you got them! Thank you!
    -Jami

22. Genevieve says

Hi! I am so happy I came across your pages. I am in awe of your decorating talents. This is the most beautiful classroom decorating I have ever seen. What an angel you are! The happiness you must bring to your students, I can’t even imagine. God bless you! I am sure that these children will forever remember you, and their year in your classroom as one of the highlights of their lives. They will always look back with fondness and be happy to reminisce and remember when. How I wish I could be a student in your class. I think you’re wonderful and super talented. Your creativity is awesome. Thank you so much for sharing all you do with others so we can get ideas and inspiration. I am going to adopt some of your ideas for my daughters birthday party in February. I want to make something special for her that she’ll always remember. How I wish I could have known about you for my oldest daughters sweet 16. Thank you again!
    Genevieve

Oh my goodness! How sweet you are! You just brought tears to my eyes! I can’t thank you enough for the kind words – you made my day!

23. Cydney says

I love this classroom theme! It is absolutely beautiful! I hope that when my kids are in school they will have an enthusiastic and fun teacher just like you! I am starting preschool with my girls at home and have a room that is specifically for school. I want to do this in there and create a tree in the corner. I saw that you said you stapled the paper. Is it over a bulletin board? I am just trying to figure out the best way to put this up on our walls. Do you have any suggestions? I love your website; it kind of makes me want to be a teacher! :)

Hi Cydney,
      The branches of the trees are stapled into a bulletin board. The trunk of one of my trees is stapled through wood, but that hasn’t held up too well. Hot glue would work the same way, but I don’t know if you want to put hot glue on your walls. Hope that helps! :)

24. Tricia says

I am totally inspired! I was wondering how you get permission from Carson Dellosa to enlarge items like the bluebird? Or do you sell that?
    Thanks!

Hi Tricia,
      Unfortunately, I don’t sell the birds. Yes, I had to get permission from Carson Dellosa to enlarge them. I had to take their letter granting me permission to Staples for proof. They copied the letter as well. There isn’t any other way to get around it. Another option would be to buy clip art of a bird silhouette, blow it up, and trace it using an overhead projector. That was my plan in case I didn’t get permission in time from Carson Dellosa.

25. Kelly says

Your classroom is inspiring!!! You are definitely good at what you do!

Question: I looked on the lakeshore website for the wall picture frames for student work and I wasn’t able to find them. Do you know if they are still selling them or where I should look on their website?! I would appreciate any help!! :) Thank you!!

26. Elizabeth Boatwright says

Melanie,

I can honestly say you are the type of teacher I dream about being one day! You must spend every weekend there! :-) You remind me of Miss Honey on Matilda! :-) (The movie and the book) How lucky those children are to have you! And your families too! I work in day care but still consider what I do to be teaching, and I can’t wait to share your blog with all my friends! You have given me hope and inspiration for next year! :-)

We need to have more teachers like you in this world!

Elizabeth!
      I just wrote you a public message on Facebook – I hope you see it! You are sweetest girl EVER! I consider working in daycare teaching too. My youngest just left the infant room and I can’t tell you how grateful I am to those women that worked in that room. You are a child’s FIRST teacher – that is SO important. I know how heart wrenching it is to leave your precious baby with strangers – you have that awesome responsibility of being that second mommy to those sweet babies. That age is so crucial to a child’s development as well. We NEED people like you to nurture, teach, and love those little ones. Your job is WAY more important than mine! Keep up the good work, dear. I can tell from your messages that I would be honored to have my own children with you all day long!

• Andrea Tanner says

HI Melanie, You are amazing!! I cant imagine how many lives you have touched withyour talent! Where can I get directions for the bird nest and flowers? Thanks

Hi Andrea!
          You are so sweet – thank you so much! Well, I actually plan to make an announcement this weekend that I plan to sell the flowers/nests on my site. I should have them in my shop in a month or two. Hope that helps! :)

Melanie

• says

You are right Melanie Elizabeth is a sweet lady . I pray her dreams be fulfilled as a teacher, but daycares need the sweet and the pure at heart like her in them too. I ditto everything she said about you. You are loving and kind to share all your beautiful wonders with us. I’m using that bird theme in my classroom next year. I love to look at beautiful things and everything on your sight is soooooo pretty. How is your friend Amy?

27. Krista says

I love your classroom. It is so inviting, but it isn’t distracting or cluttered looking. My favorite part is that you listed where these items can be found. So often we see cute outfits or classroom items in magazines or online, but we have no idea where they can be purchased. Right now I’m a Special Area (itinerant) teacher and a first year teacher. Next year I’ll be a regular classroom teacher for the first time, and I plan to use many of your ideas for my classroom. I just cannot praise your classroom enough!!

28. Rhonda says

Hi,

Your ideas are wonderful!! When you asked Carson & Dellosa for permission to enlarge one of their designs, how did you go about doing this? I am moving from 2nd grade to Kindergarten next year and I am so excited to decorate the room. I am thinking about the Polka Dots, but I keep coming back to the bird theme. The birds remind me of my mom. I want the room to be calm and cute.

29. Rhonda says

I absolutely love this theme! I am moving to Kinder from 2nd next year. I think was be a nice calm and inviting room. It also reminds memos my mom. How do I go about getting permission from Carson-Dellosa to enlarge the birds?
    Thanks for the help!
    Rhonda

Hi Rhonda!
      There is a section at the very bottom of their website that says “Copyright Permission Guidelines.” You need to fill out a form to get permission. I have Carson Dellosa’s new catalog and didn’t even see the bird paper that I used. I am wondering if they discontinued this? This has given me an idea though…I think I will make my own bird and sell it on my website. If you can give me a couple days, I can get it done and add it to my shop. This way you can avoid the whole copyright permission thing! :)

30. Susie LaBelle says

I absolutely love this!!! My wheels are spinning :)
    Do you have directions on how you made the tree anywhere?

31. Andrea Tanner says

I have never seen a room more beautiful! Thanks for sharing your talented ideas with all of us!! I have a couple of questions…Do you cut the poms to shape them for the nest and flowers? WHere did you buy the brown buckets/flower pots? I remember you said you were going to make birds and put onyour site for sale, I have been checking everyday..am I missing it? (or maybe you havnt had a chance!) Thank you so much!!

32. Lucinda says

I saw this and rushed to my principal and asked for tables for my classroom instead of desk. Now I am having second thoughts. If I give up my desks, I will not be able to get them back. I teach 4th grade and love how you did your room but don’t know if it will work for me. Can you give me some pros and cons on how you like working with the tables in your room?

33. Jenny says

Melanie,

I LOVE this theme! I’m so inspired to decorate for next year! I’m waiting to see the new themes before I make my final decision though :-) Do you use your Daily Five board just to remind students of choices or do you use it for grouping…?

34. Melanie Farrow says

Melanie,
    I am in the process of purchasing all the supplies to recreate your room. Are the book basket labels no longer available? If not could you e-mail me a list of the labels you used in your room? I see some are by F&P alphabetic levels. Others by type of book. I haven’t done first grade in 13 years so I want to build the best book baskets possible. I don’t see a table in your room. Where do you do your guided reading groups? I am so impressed with your streamlined classroom. I am actually accepting a Summer position with my district to earn the 500 I will put toward the recreation. I love your double desk tables who are they from and what size. I can also see that you had 26 children in this room. That is similar to my 24 but my room looks so much more packed and I believe my room is larger. Is you schedule as streamlined as your environment. I am interested in the daily five. What other programs do you use? One last question, what do you use the yellow baskets for?

Thank-you,
    Melanie Farrow

35. Tiana says

Hi! I currently teach fourth grade and I am moving to first next year. I am so in love with this color theme. I have two quick questions. Can you provide a tutorial on how to make the tree? Also how can I incorporate a print rich environment without upsetting the color scheme? I want to include alphabet and number lines, word families, and phonics. I do not want to buy the colorful posters with animals on them. Please help. Thanks for your time.

36. Jan Avila says

I love your room! I am looking for a new way to decorate my room! Thank you for sharing your ideas and especially where the classroom items were purchased.

37. Ashlee says

Thank you do much for your creativity!!! I’m a first year teacher and I adore this theme! I will be teaching third grade and I’m going to incorporate many of your ideas. I love the streamlined look of your classrooms. Thanks again for your hard work!!!

38. Jessica Dean says

I LOVE this theme, and I too am a first year teacher. I know my sweet Kindergartner’s will love this as well.

I was wondering if you know approximately how many yards you used for each of the borders and trim? I know each classroom size varies, but I don’t want to buy too much.

Thanks for all your hard work on this website, and letting us use your creativity as our guide. :D

39. Courtney says

How did you create the large tree? What material is it made out of? Also, it look like there is three trees in one of the pictures. Is there three or just one?
    Thanks for all of the pictures!

Hi Courtney! I think I need to do a tutorial on that tree – it seems to be one of my FAQ’s! I have a total of 4 trees in my room, that particular wall, I have three! :)

• Tina Goolsby says

Do you have a photo that show the full view of the room? Where did you get the bird nest? I am interested in how you made the tree by the window. This is awesome!!!

40. Angie says

This is beautiful! I am doing a gardenish theme when school begins again and I absolutely love your ideas. Thank you so much for sharing!

41. Teresa says

Your room is stunning! It is so appealing…I am inspired to do more with mine next year. Any ideas for those who have strict fire codes and no hanging from ceiling. Only 20% covering of all wall space?
    Thanks!!

42. Paula says

This is the room I love. I cannot wait to put it up for next year. Quick question though..the picture frames on the wall…are they made of paper and laminated or are they actual frames. Love the idea of using them to fill in wall space rather than a lot of paper.
    Thanks!

Hi Melanie!

I have been so excited for the last few months when I first discovered your website and B-E-A-U-tiful classrooms. I am going to transform my classroom into a bird theme. I purchased your materials a while back, but have been so excited to get started. We’ve only been out of school for a couple of weeks and I’m already started to decorate. Follow my progress here: http://sprinklesunshinekinder.blogspot.com/

Thank you for your wonderful inspiration!
    Megan

44. Karen says

Absolutely love the bird themed classroom!!!! I teach second grade and I’m going to try to do this design in my room next year. Could you please tell me the colors of the Pom-poms? I was going to order them from Pom magic on etsy, but wasn’t sure of the particular colors. You are such a talented designer and teacher!
    Karen

45. Erica says

Hello!

I LOVE this classroom. Could you please give me materials and directions on how to make the tree??!! Thank you! (I’m a first-year teacher)!

46. Corinne Blancas says

Hi there! I am IN LOVE with this room!!!!!!! I modeling my classroom (first year) around this idea! I was wondering how you made the pom-poms/flower rounds so big? I saw an idea for a smaller one using a wiffer ball, tissue paper or fake flowers and hot glue but they would come out much smaller than the ones that you have. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Corinne

47. Karla says

I took a gander at your classroom pictures and my mouth was hanging open the entire time in awe! I am so impressed with your classroom. I think you should win an award for it! (Do they have those? If not, they should!) Very inspiring and creative! Great job!!!

48. Diana says

This is absolutely awesome! How long does it take you to put this together? We only have a week prior to classes beginning to set up our rooms and 2 of those are in staff development.

49. Nicole McRae says

WOW! You are simply amazing! This classroom is my dream! I love the colors green and blue together! I will def be using some of your ideas! Thanks so much for sharing!

50. Jane says

Love your colors and how tidy your classroom looks. I have a questiong though….my room is small. Last year I had 23 first graders. We don’t have any place to store required items must less all the items I want to have in the room. I also have 8 students computers that take up some much space. Do you have any tips for putting all this in my room and it not feeling like we are on top of each other?
    Thanks.

51. Helen says

I absolutely adore your classroom! I showed it to my boyfriend and he even remarked that it was beautiful!! I said, “great, now you can help me make it my very own classroom!”. I was recently hired as a 1st grade teacher in a very urban school. The building is very old and still has paneling used as walls ..pretty much floor to ceiling bulletin boards! It makes hanging things handy, but also requires a lot of creativity and innovation to cover every square inch of my walls. I am going to order your items for sale from schoolGirl style soon. What color fabric and/or craft paper do you suggest I use to cover my “walls” ? …. Keep in mind ALL of my walls are panels! I don’t want it to be too bright or too drab in there …. I think your room is just perfect! :). Any tips and advice you could give an excited, new teacher would be greatly appreciated!!

Love your room. Would like to take the same approach with bumble bees and beavers. I always do “busy as a beaver” or busy beavers. I teach 4th now, after teaching k-3 for 17 years. Would love to hear back from you on ideas. Thanks!

53. Stacy Davidson says

I am using these patterns for a frog/pond theme that I inherited when I changed schools. I am using pom poms for lily pads, and frogs to replace bluebirds. The colors work beautifully and I found cute coordinating stripped and polka dot fabric at Hobby Lobby with the same colors. I am so excied!!! One question, is the pattern for the “fancy cards” on the back of the chairs also available from your shop? Did I overlook it?

54. Martha says

Hi Melanie -

Your classroom themes are adorable. I am particulary found of the bird theme. Just curious though, what happens when you start to add the kids’ own work? Is there a particuluar area where you display their stuff? We try to reflect our current curriculum/unit of study through what is displayed in the classroom. How do you avoid a hodge-podge effect from all of this? Thanks for sharing.

55. Cherie says

I absolutely love this room design! I have always wanted to incorporate a large 3-D tree into my 2nd grade classroom, and your pictures have given me a few ideas. Thank you so much! All of your designs are fabulous and I wish you the best in the next chapter of your life as a classroom designer.

Cherie

56. Brittney says

Your classroom is seriously one of my favorite classrooms I have seen on the internet! I love the way you used your theme and colors everywhere! It is beautiful, organized and inspiring! I am student teaching right now and my brain is constantly running with ideas for when I have my own classroom. I just want to bottle yours up and stick it where ever I end up! haha. Thank you so much for sharing your awesome classroom!

57. Kate Pritchard says

I am teaching a Senior Kindergarten class in a very old building with the “Rockin Robin” theme and would love to know how you made those nests! They are precious! I also want to know how you made those nests. We have a loft in our room that I am making into the bookworm nook. I was going to drape chocolate brown burlap with moss hot glued to it to look like a nest. What do you think? Your room is absolutely the very best I have seen! We have three tables from which they rotate so I wanted to make nests to hold the supplies. How would you suggest I do that>

You can either purchase the nests from my shop or you can make them. I have a tutorial on how to do this in October on my blog. Hope that helps! :)

58. Barbara says

How did you hang your curtain? They are beautiful! Did you use a long rod. or several?
    Also, it looks like you used the brown paper, border and yellow clothes clips, to look like curtain, under the Welcome First Grade Friends, board.
    I would love to make both for my classroom. Will you share more about the curtains?
    Thank you!’What an amazing room!

59. Gina says

Hi!
    I downloaded the nameplates and I want to type the names in. I remember seeing it somewhere on here, but I can’t remember where. Do you know how to?

Thanks! :)

60. Stepher03 says

Beautiful class!! Love love love it! How many borders did you buy about? I don’t have many school supply stores, so I either have to order online, or go out of town, so I want to make sure I have enough.
    thanks :)

Oh goodness…I think I bought 5 packages of the polka dots and a couple rolls of the Bordette.

I made my way here from Pinterest and I just HAD to stop and say how absolutely wonderful your classroom is. I teach high school and struggle to make it look decent, much less completely stunning. I would LOVE if my son had a teacher like you! :D

62. Hannah says

The green and white polka dot paper is not available at Hobby Lobby anymore :( Do you have another source for it? Thanks!

63. Sara says

Can you give me some suggestions on how you made the little flowers in pots for each table? How did you weight the bottom so they don’t tip over? Did you use dowel rods for the stem? Thanks!!!

64. Margaret says

Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful room. It has been great inspiration to get back to school. So stunning, refreshing and inviting. I’m looking forward to trying some of your ideas!

65. Sherri says

I wish I would have figured out the theme of my room a lot earlier than 6 days before school starts, because YOUR ROOM IS AMAZING!!! :) I had so much trouble thinking of a theme for 5th graders…(I have previously taught 1st and 2nd grade) and a bird theme just kinda hit me as not too childish but still cute. :) THEN…I came across your room. THIS IS SO WONDERFUL!! You did a fabulous job!! :) LOVE IT! :)

Hi Melanie,
    I am so happy I came across your blog this summer. You have made me so excited to start decorating and organizing my classroom. I have the same borders and I have curtains for the windows and cabinets to match as well! I love the idea with the tubs and I bought a ton today. I also bought all of your labels in your shop. I cannot wait to print them and laminate them.
    I wanted to know about your Alphabet right about your Word Wall (not the larger one above the board). Was that something you purchased or did you make it?
    Thank you again for your creativity. You have sparked my creativity.

67. Annmarie says

Hello. I’m 14, and I just recently decided to become a teacher. I love this theme idea,my favorite part is the paper tree! This is so adorable.

68. Jen says

Okay, I’m late to the party, but let me just say: OH MY WORD!!!!!! This classroom is AMAZING! I am so envious. I am in an old run down portable building and am afraid I have not been as successful as I had hoped at making my room beautiful! PLEASE COME TO FLORIDA and redecorate my room! :-)

69. Alicia says

I absolutely LOVE this theme! I have just finished school and I am on the job hunt, but I have decided that no matter what age level I teach this WILL be my theme! Being that I am just getting started, I have a few questions. The green tubs from Dollar Tree were used for what? And you listed yellow baskets on the shopping list, what were they used for? I can’t wait to get into my classroom to recreate this amazing room! Thanks sooo much for sharing!

70. Elvia L Ramirez says

I just love this. I feel that sometimes through all of the paperwork and other demands we forget what our true purpose is. Thanks so much for the reminder. I would like to post this on FB, I will add a link to your page.

71. Sharon says

This classroom made me want to cry, seriously. Just imagine how much fun those kids have, how welcome they feel and safe. Bravo!

72. Shana says

I discovered your blog via Pinterest. I love this post! You reminded me about why I love being a teacher. I also love your classroom! Thank you for sharing it with us!

73. Barbara Barnes says

I teach first grade. I am wanting to know when you taught first grade if you would use the same decorations up all year. I have taught 20 years and am growing weary of changing decorations every month to match my units such as Fairytales, farm, Native Americans, Christmas, space, patriotism, spring, rain forest, etc…Is this something you do?

Hi Barbara!
      I never changed my decorations…way too much work. I decorated for the entire school year and left it alone. :)

74. Jodie Brice says

Hello! I am starting to print off the bluebird decor for my classroom next year! I was wondering…what font did you use for the word wall words? I love that font! Thanks for the wonderful ideas! Cannot wait to start decorating!

75. Elizabeth Carneiro says

What great ideas! I am going to decorate my second grade classroom with a bird theme as well. I can’t wait to get started. I love to draw and paint birds and I’ve always told my students that cardinals are good luck so I may have to go with bluebirds and a few lucky cardinals. Thanks for sharing!!!

76. Amy Bonello says

Wow, oh wow. This page had made me feel so inspired and excited about teaching AND setting up my new classroom. I am very keen to create a tree like yours, can you take me through what you used and how to do it? Only, these sort of things are not my forte! Thank you x

I love the organization of your classroom. We have the owl theme again next year at our school. I was thinking of incorporating your look and replacing the birds with owls. I will be teaching Math and Science. I’m a little weak at organization, so I was looking at your px trying to figure out how each station was organized. What is the long piece of brown construction paper below your welcome first grade friends used for? Displaying work?

78. leanne says

Beautiful set up! I’m curious how you do the words on your word wall?? Its so neat and love the box shapes around them!

79. Stacey says

Hi, I love your themes and this one is my favorite. Your website helps new teachers like me create gorgeous classrooms. I do have some questions that just reiterate what others have asked. First I wondered what you used all the green bins from dollar tree for. I have purchased mine and now am wondering what to use them for. Also what font do you use for the word wall, it is darling. Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions. I look forward to your response.

80. Veronica says

Love this theme! I am currently in the process of buying everything I’ll need. Where did you get the flower pots? Also, what did you use the green bins for?

Hi Veronica! I actually purchased those at Target a couple years ago. They were green and blue polka dot and I spray painted them. The green bins were used as my student’s independent reading baskets. Hope that helps! :)

81. Stacy says

I am in awww of your classroom! I can’t stop gazing at every detail. I am in the process of changing the colors in my room and my color scheme is very similar to yours. I have an owl theme and need to jazzy up my space. Thank you so much for sharing your purchase information. You’re amazing!!!!

82. Amanda says

I just want to know where all these people teach at…??????? I get so discouraged with all these amazing classrooms knowing I could never do them in my area (fire marshal rules). I’m trying to take what I can and revamp my room b/c I am sick of the same old, same old! I know this was a couple years ago but it is still a great theme/room! Great job!

83. Tonya Coats says

I’m starting this theme tomorrow. Kinda scared but excited at the same time. :/ Quick question what did you use to hang the Lakeshore Frames?

84. Dionne Carroll says

Hello, I truly love the theme. I just ordered what I need to get started. I see the tree is not included, where can I get it or how can I make it. Thank

85. Nadia says

I love this room. It is beautiful. I have taken a few of your ideas but added my own twist. You are such an inspiration. I ordered the birdies but did not receive in my email :(

86. Debby Guardino says

I am a teacher from Chesapeake, Va and I traveled to Moore, OK this summer to help teachers from affected schools write DonorsChoose.org projects to help rebuild their classrooms. I visited with Karen Marinelli and helped her post a large project which just funded. I just wanted to thank you for all you are doing. I have admired your blog for a while and can’t believe everything that you are doing to help Karen. She is, without a doubt one of the most amazing people I have ever met. She will always be a hero to me and her strength has provided so much inspiration. I am going back the week that the teachers start back and I can’t wait to see what you do to Karen’s room. Wishing you all the best next week. All You Need Is Love…to change the world. Blessings.

87. Jane Grishaw says

I LOVE your classroom and your inspiration for your classroom too! I am using
    those same colors. I bought those same tubs at Dollar Tree. How are you using them?
    And what are the numbers for that are clipped to them?
    Thanks,
    Jane

88. Theresa says

I really really love your room decoration, it inspires me a lot. I like that flower your made for putting on the table. I have one question, where did you get that green stick for putting the flower on? I tried to find in stores, they only have some white sticks for making candies instead of brown ones you used. Could you tell me where did you get that thing? Thanks very much.

89. Puja says

I would love my classroom to look like this some day. I am a first year teacher with lots of aspirations! Thanks for sharing.

90. Leata says

Leata says,
    I am just amazed at the beautiful work that you have created for a safe and wonderful learning environment just for your students. I am a third year teacher teaching the third grade and I wish my classroom could look just like yours. Still in awe. : )

I am so doing this theme! I downloaded your complete package. How do I go about making the tree? Did you use polka dot wrapping paper for the leaves? How on earth do you do a new theme each year? You are amazing!!